Tuesday, May 26, 2009

"Hug your little ones tighter...."


I was reminded this past week of sweet Maria Sue Chapman, daughter of Steven Curtis Chapman, who tragically passed away a year ago in a terrible accident. She passed away May 21st, 2008, her funeral held May 24th, 2008. The Chapman’s son Will (who was behind the wheel at the time of the accident) graduated from high school this past Sunday, May 24th, 2009 (exactly one year to the day) on the very same stage that the family said goodbye to Maria Sue. Every student in the class walked across that stage barefoot to symbolize they were on “Holy Ground”. Do I even need to go on? Wow.

I have been reading their mother’s blog today, going back to the weeks before the accident up until her last post this Sunday talking about Will's graduation and the anniversary of her daughters passing. As I clicked on other links on her page I read about all of her children (they have 6!) and their involvement in ministry. Every one of them is open and honest about their struggle with sadness and anger over Maria’s death. YET…still they trust. This is one awesome family. I really have no one “pearl” that I have taken away from all my reading; everything this woman has to say has moved me beyond words. Instead, I have a new eagerness to fill my children’s lives with Christ more intentionally, to enjoy who they are and who God created them to be, and to love them fully and deeply. Mary Beth Chapman ends a lot of her blogs with “Hug your little ones tighter”…..I love that……

0 comments: